Re: [GENERAL] storing a tree-like structure and selecting path from leaf to root

От Herouth Maoz
Тема Re: [GENERAL] storing a tree-like structure and selecting path from leaf to root
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 09:44 +0300 on 15/08/1999, Jan Vicherek wrote:

> Q1:  What is a good way to store this tree in ? (This is somewhat generic
> question, so it may be a good FAQ candidate.) I want SELECTs to be fast,
> and INSERTs/UPDATEs I don't care. Would making custom datatype help ? How?

About a year and a half ago, there was a book recommendation about this
issue. The book discusses advanced data structures representation with SQL.
Now that PostgreSQL has subqueries and unions, it becomes more relevant.
The book was:

Joe Celko's
SQL for Smarties
Advanced SQL Programming

The publisher:

Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc
340 Pine St 6th Floor
San Francisco CA 94104-33205
USA
415-392-2665
mkp@mkp.com
http://www.mkp.com

The original poster of this recommendation was Terry Harple, and it was on
the (now defunct) QUESTIONS list.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma

От: Jan Vicherek
Сообщение: storing a tree-like structure and selecting path from leaf to root
От: "Duncan Kinder"
Сообщение: Regression issues